Thursday, July 12, 2007

Things I've screwed up on this week

1. dropped a whole vial of fentanyl on the floor, smashing it into tiny pieces
2. drew up a bottle of heparin thinking it was lidocaine. Fortunately I'm slightly OCD and always recheck the bottle after I draw it up. Of course, if I were truly OCD, I wouldn't have incorrectly drawn it up. Even further, if I were OCD I wouldn't have drawn it up at all because I would still be at home washing and rewashing my hands. OK bad humor there...
3. fell slightly asleep this morning during 6am conference...while sitting right next to my program director. Yikes. One of my annoying (male) smart-ass cohorts asked me if Sleepy was my favorite of the 7 dwarfs.
4. turned the stopcock on an IV the wrong way after giving some drugs. A few minutes later I notice that IV fluid had dripped all over the floor.
5. missed an intubation because the patient's mouth was clamped shut. (Ok that's really not my fault)
6. Was talking to my attending about our patient who is breastfeeding and doesn't want to delay it after surgery. I then said, "we can't give her versed because it will cross the placenta.." Uh, yeah. I think she got rid of her placenta when she had her baby.
7. That's about all I can think of. I'm sure my attendings could provide plenty of more screw ups.

1 comment:

Dan and Libby said...

I don't think you would be at home washing and rewashing. I am certain you would be at home patrolling drawers and cabinet doors to make sure they are closed. ;)