Wednesday, July 18, 2007

I had my second day where I'm really glad I picked anesthesia. I've noticed it depends on how much autonomy my attending gives me. Today I was left pretty much the whole day to my own devices...except for the take-off and landing. I got my first nasal intubation today. My attending was pretty happy about that because I defied the "see one, do one, teach one" law of medicine because I'd never seen a nasal intubation. Being alone is a little scary but I'm starting to feel better about it. I mean, after the fiasco Friday with the ventilator shutting off, can being alone get any worse?? My second case today required a LOT of pain meds which made me a bit nervous, but it's not like the guy is going to quit breathing or something. Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that today was FUN! As far as residency goes, I think I picked the coolest one. I mean, yes, cutting people open is kind neat too, but you have to go through a miserable 3 years before you get to do anything on your own. Simply not worth it to me. Nor is the life you lead after a surgical residency..

And, one of my attendings told me he heard I was a good resident. Maybe he was just buttering me up, but why would he need to do that? I do think being female has been an advantage. Everyone has been really great to me and several attendings have said they are really happy to see more females in the program. Yay for girls! At this point, I don't care if being female gets me nicer treatment.

So here are some pet peeves in the OR:
1. I absolutely hate it when people are transporting a patient to the OR and they let the bed bumb into walls and other obstacles in the hallway. I think it's careless.
2. I also hate it when the patient is being transported from the OR not completely covered, or wakes up from anesthesia not completely covered. No reason why someone needs to wake up naked or partially exposed. Would you want to?

No comments: