Thursday, July 26, 2007

No more diets for me!

Great news, everyone! I don't have to diet anymore! I got my ass chewed out so bad today that there's none of it left!!

You would think I was the worst resident ever if you heard the way my attending today was acting toward me...all day. We had this awful tumor debulking which turned into a big bloodletting. My attending kept leaving the room to tend to another case. While he was gone, my patient's blood pressure kept dropping and wouldn't respond to any drugs I gave her. She was losing blood, and the surgeon asked me to hang some he ordered. I did. When my attending walked in and saw the blood going in, I really thought he was going to have a stroke right then and there. He stopped the blood and was so mad at me he told me to go take a break and leave the room. I was actually afraid to go back in the room after my break, but I had to. When I got back, he's in a frenzy because they lady is losing blood and now he can't get the blood I hung earlier to go in fast enough!! She ended up getting a total of 5 units. Did he ever sound appreciative that I tried to anticipate her decompensating before it actually happened? No! He waits until she's in trouble and then decides to start aggressive therapy and make everyone around him miserable because he's so high-strung. I got bitched out again later over the incident when the case was over. I got a lecture about TRALI. (Well you know what? TRALI is rare and if she doesn't get blood, she won't live long enough to get TRALI!) OK so, I think I got it now. Don't give blood without calling you. Apparently I'm not capable of recognizing hypovolemic shock due to blood loss...

It was just everything I did that pissed him off. All day long...So that's what I mean when I say I have no ass left. While he's bitching me out, the surgery resident chimes in and tells him in my defense that her attending ordered the blood. It made no difference. I'm a naughty resident.

I never want to work with him again. I've gotten stuck with him 3 times now and I don't know why. I'm giving him a horrible evaluation. The worst thing is, I heard his angry voice so much today, I can't get it out of my head now that I'm finally home. None of the OR staff like to work with him, so why he is allowed to teach new residents is beyond me. He doesn't teach. He just barks orders and bitches you out for every single thing. He had me so nervous I was shaking all day...to the point where one of the nurses noticed and commented about it. I lied and told her I was hypoglycemic. Thank God the tears stayed away until I got home.

It's going to be a long 3 years.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think what scares me about your post is thinking that someone so cranky is probably the most important person in the surgery room! Hang in and don't change!

Anonymous said...

You are too good to let the bastards get to you. Deep breaths. This too shall pass. Remember the jerks in your intern year? You left them behind, and you moved on. You get to be you, and they're still . . . jerks.

Kate said...

Thanks M and D, that means a lot and I appreciate the encouragement!