Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Last night's call wasn't near as bad as last week's (which I haven't mentioned here because I'm still recovering from it!) I only had 3 patients to admit, one "prounouncement" and a cardiac arrest at 5:30am. Not bad at all. I got 4 consecutive hours of sleep, which meant today I wasn't dead tired and too dangerous to run errands. I left the hospital around 8am, went to the grocery store, went to lunch with a friend of mine, got a pedicure (and thought about my friend Robyn who is probably in dire need of one about now while she is trouncing around Europe), and had my air conditioner cleaned. Funny how when it's 105 degrees everyday, your air conditioner doesn't seem to run as well. I've never had it cleaned before and tonight my house is nice and cool. I guess next time I won't wait 4 years to have it serviced.

Tomorrow I have to give a presentation at noon on a patient that I have seen. I picked a guy who came into the ER with acute mental status changes and ended up having hyponatremia due to congestive heart failure. It's not really a hard case, but the doctors that attend these presentations get a sick thrill out of pelting the presenter with a bunch of questions. They loved the last case I presented, so now I feel like I've set the bar too high and will have a tough time meeting their expectations.

Tomorrow night I'm going to fill in and play my oboe in my old woodwind quintet. I'm looking forward to it, but I haven't played this summer so I'm sure I'll sounds pretty bad. It's Better than not having an oboe player though. I'm actually looking forward to playing. I had my oboe overhauled this summer so it will be fun to see how it plays. It looks brand spankin' new!

No comments: