Tuesday, August 15, 2006

I'm a bit irritated. I got my call schedule for September and I am on call 2 Fridays, one Saturday and one Sunday. That means every single weekend of September is screwed up for me. I complained. Only mildly though. Our elected schedule maker is going to change one of my Fridays to a Thursday. I have a better idea: change the Saturday to a Thursday! I have to remember, what comes around goes around. We are all going to end up working the same number of weekends, I'll just get all mine in sooner. It is football season though. I really don't want to miss any games.

I saw one of the nurses today in the doctor's lounge and I thanked her profusely for "rescuing" me during my case presentation 2 weeks ago. Remember? It's that thing I have to do where I present an interesting patient and then get pimped to death (questioned) by a handful of attendings. I'm used to getting pimped, but not the way some of them do it. It's really frustrating. Anyway, I was really getting hammered with questions and this nurse happened to be there. The last question for me was the echo results on this patient, and while digging through my mounds of paperwork looking for it, the nurse answered my question for me (I think she works in the lab). So I thanked her today for saving me. She told me she gets irritated at how the doctors treat the residents during these case presentations, particularly the women. She enjoys going to the presentations but has noticed over the years that the female residents really get treated badly and it makes her mad, so she feels the need to help out when she can. She told me to hang in there. I started thinking about that today and I'm not sure if she's right or not. I bring hard, unusual cases to the meetings, so I figured that's why I was getting all the difficult questions, but it's the way I'm questioned that I don't like. They interrupt me before I can give them the information they want, they don't listen when I go over labwork so I end up repeating most of it, and in general it's a very adversarial environment. Sometimes I can't even say one sentence without being pelted by questions from everyone. The guys don't really get that too much, but then, they also bring mostly lame, boring cases. I don't know if it's a sex thing or not. What difference does it make? It doesn't change the fact I have to give these presentations twice a month.

On a lighter note, one of our residents switched the M and N keys on our computer in the call room. It was really messing up my typing the other day. So to get even, I put a huge, black, fake bug between the sheets in the call room. He's on call tonight. Hee hee.

No comments: