Sunday, August 20, 2006

My political rant




It's election time again! Tuesday is the day we have a run-off for various offices such as Lt. Gov. (who cares?), and state senate. I know it's election time again because I am being inundated with garbage mail, recordings on my voice mail, and of course, all the stupid TV ads. They all say the same thing: I believe in faith and family, making flag burning against the law, making abortion a crime, and yadda yadda yadda. Although I do care about faith and family, I don't think it really matters if my congressman thinks so. I also don't think flag burning or abortion should ever be anyone's top priority. However, those are the big platforms in my state, which makes me think anyone who listens to these knuckleheads is simple minded. I wish somebody would run who would like to eliminate pork spending in government, would guarantee they would strive to protect our constitution and ALL its amendments (even that pesky flag burning amendment protected under the 1st Amendment. Two and Four are good ones to protect, too), and initiate some REAL medical malpractice tort reform. I'm also concerned about the war, but then, who isn't? I'd also like someone to propose we abolish property tax.

Let's talk about property taxes for a moment. It is completely insane that we have to pay a yearly tax on something we already own! Even when you have your mortgage paid off, you still have to pay the property tax. If you don't, the government will steal your house from you. In essence, it comes down to this: Even though you think you own your house, you are really just renting it from the government. That's what property taxes assure us, and it stinks. Sorry to break the bad news to everyone who thought they were homeowners.

Anyone care to wager what political party I affiliate myself with? That's right. Libertarian. That is, if my county election board would let people register as such.

I just want to close with this comment. I am so fortunate to live in this great country, created by brave men who were searching for a different way of running a country. However, if our forefathers could see what was happening to the constitution they fought so hard for, they would be ashamed of us. We are slowly allowing our government to pick apart the Bill of Rights and take away our freedoms. Think about that. Long and hard. Is that what YOU really want?

No comments: