Thursday, August 10, 2006

My residency is causing kitty stress


I'm a bad kitty owner. For 3 days, one of my kitties quit using the litter box. I thought she was doing it to annoy me because I'm gone all the time. Then yesterday I realized she was sick. She started being less social, she was constantly licking her bottom (gross, I know) and she was having urinary urgency. I found a 24 hour vet yesterday by my house that doesn't charge a higher fee until 10pm so I took her there. I had to leave her there for a few hours because she couldn't produce a urine sample. When they finally got one, it was full of blood, but not infection. I felt really bad. I bet it really hurt when she had to pee. The vet told me this bladder inflammation is caused by the cat being under a lot of stress, and he asked if anything in her life had changed. Hmm...well I went from working 0 hours per week to working 60-75, does that count? It counts. Poor Sarah. The vet gave her a steroid shot and sent her home with 2 weeks of prednisone pills to get rid of the inflammation. Oh boy. Ever try to give a cat a pill? To facilitate the process, I bought a "pill popper" which is a little rod that holds the pill on one end. You put the rod in her mouth, push the button on the other end, and the pill gets shot in her mouth. In theory, it's a great idea. In reality, Sarah was having no part of that. She kept spitting the pill out. I finally got her to swallow one before I went to work. Tonight's pill went easier, but I'm not sure if I can keep this up for 2 weeks. She may be fooled now, but soon she'll know to hide when I come around.

She's feeling better. She's perked up and she's using the litter again, thank God. Fortunately I have wood floors, but I'll have to clean my throw rugs pretty well which will be no easy task.

Nothing else is new. I'm on call tomorrow night. I'm not looking forward to it.

No comments: