Sunday, August 13, 2006

Well my call shift wasn't too bad the other night. I got paged to a code 5 minutes after I got there. She needed to be reintubated which was no small task. I failed twice, then got the tube in on the third try, but somehow it came out. Then the attending showed up and couldn't get her intubated. It was pretty frustrating. The lady ended up dying about an hour later. Her family was unprepared for the news and understandably, did not take it well.

After that I got 4 admits. One of them was a guy I had admitted last month, so I already knew his story. He had hepatic encephalopathy and was pretty out of it from that. When I tried to examine him, he started hitting me and then grabbed my arms. Needless to say, that exam didn't last long.

I went to sleep around 4am then woke up at 6:30am to my pager going off. A nursing question. Then I got paged again to go pronounce someone who had died. In the middle of that I got paged to the ICU for another code. We worked on him for an hour. The family was watching us and wanted him kept alive until one more relative could get there. The problem was, he wasn't alive. We just had to keep going until the attending or the family told us to stop. So there we were, pushing epinephrine and doing chest compressions on a guy who was already dead. One of the family members, who I suspect was a doctor by the questions he was asking, finally asked us to stop. The family was all there crying and the nurses were all crying and hugging the family. One of the nurses explained to me that they had all formed a bond with the family and how nice they were. I was touched. I left around 8am and took a brief nap before I went to The Boyfriend's house. We had a great weekend hanging out. Last night I made shrimp boil for dinner and then we had vanilla ice cream with fresh blueberries and rasberries. Yum!!

No comments: