Friday, August 11, 2006

Grown up boys

I am so, so thankful that there is another female in my residency class. For 3 years, there haven't been any women and now there are 2 of us. The rest are all men...or boys, I should say. One on one, they are fine, well spoken gentlemen who are fun to talk to. When they get in a pack of about 3 or more, they start acting like 3 year olds! I've never seen anything like it. They talk about their bowel movements, they call each other names, and they hit and kick each other. I grew up with two older brothers, but I don't remember any of this ever happening. I have lots of guy friends. In fact, my boyfriend is a guy, and he doesn't act like that. But, Julie, the other female resident, informed me this is normal boy behavior. She calls it "flirting". I never realized guys flirt with each other, but these guys certainly do! It sounds really funny, but it can get pretty annoying, especially when you are sleep deprived and/or cranky. You just want them to shut up and go away. That's how I felt today. Lucky me, my attending sent me home early so I got to come home for a few hours before my on call shift starts. Time for a nap!

No comments: