Sunday, July 30, 2006

Rolling, rolling, rollling

Yesterday was my brother's birthday. They were supposed to go to the lake so we didn't plan anything. For whatever reason they didn't go, so I had everyone over to my house at the last minute for hot dogs and then we went bowling. I haven't bowled in 3 years. The Boyfriend, who wasn't too excited about the opportunity to roll a heavy ball on the floor to knock down pins, informed me he hadn't bowled since 1971. Ouch. So my nieces, ages 9 and 7, like to bowl with the bumper guards up so they don't gutter every ball. A crisis ensued when the bumper guards weren't in place right away. They had to bowl a couple of turns guttering the ball, each time sulking with their arms crossed across telling my brother, "I want the bumpers". Then The Boyfriend took his turn. He guttered both balls. My 9 year old niece, still trying to make a case for getting the bumper guards, went up to him and said, "You need the bumpers!". He took the news well. Imagine, a grown adult, bowling with bumper guards. The thought just made me laugh!

I've never broken 100. My 3rd game last night I bowled a 130 and beat everyone! Maybe it was all the beer I drank, or maybe it was I decided to try a new strategy: keep my eyes on the pins instead of the floor. It seemed to work really well. I can't wait to go bowling again. The Boyfriend got his groove on too and managed to beat my nieces.

Back to work tomorrow. It is my last day of being on the hospitalist team. I can't contain my smiles enough. The hours were long and I got so sick of doing nothing but writing history and physicals all day. I'll still have to do it on call, but in much smaller doses.

I heard a good joke on The Tonight Show: What is the largest export of Cuba?

Answer: Cubans. I guess you could expand that to include Mexico. If I was the leader of either country, I think I would be really embarrassed that so many people want to leave. Perhaps they should do something about that....

5 comments:

Dan and Libby said...

We should definitely go bowl when I come home in September! I'd use my ball from when we were in the league, but the holes need to be redrilled -- considering I am 25 years older!!! And remember, they didn't have bumper guards when we were kids. xo

Anonymous said...

In reality, Cuba's largest export is doctors! Other countries pay Cuba for doctors. I say, Go Cuba!

Anonymous said...

So Cuba sells slaves, Victoria?

Anonymous said...

Umm, not exactly. The doctors get paid, like any other doctor, it's just that the Cuban government gets money too, on account of having trained the doctors. Rather better than say Africa, where after training the doctors, the West simply poaches and gives nothing back. Plus the Cuban doctors are not forced to work abroad.

Anonymous said...

Poaches? You mean steals their doctors, forces them at gunpoint to come to the west? You're right, that's terrible.

As for Cubans being forced to work abroad, I imagine very little forcing is necessary to get them to leave that charming country.