Saturday, September 15, 2007

Ok so maybe you're wondering why I posted that random video. Well, it just reminded me so much of medical school. Just watching it gave me a mild case of PTSD. It doesn't really matter what medical school you attend, the drill is the same: you study ALL the freakin' time, and it isn't pleasant. In fact, I think my first year of medical school was one of the most miserable times of my life. This year is a close second.

So now I'm in the full swing of things. I'm either on call, post call, or pre-call. All the other days I pretty much work 12-13 hours a day. Last night I worked until 7pm. I'm really trying not to complain. I chose this. It's just by the time the weekend comes around (if I'm off) I don't want to see anyone, talk to anyone, or do anything other than stay home. I'm worried this is really depression and not work related. I guess time will tell.

Yesterday, I got to work with one of my least favorite attendings. He's a really nice guy, very personable and all, but he is really freaky in the OR. I'm pretty sure he's OCD and needs to be on medication. Just being around him in the OR makes me nervous. Our day was going reasonably well (other than the fact that he completely paralyzed one of my "asleep" patients right before the case was over. GRRRR! He's done that to me 3 times in a week! I think I'm going to have to start hiding the Nimbex when I go on break).

OK anyway, our day was going reasonable well until he freaked out when my patient moved a little while the surgery resident was finishing his skin sutures. I always start bringing the patient down off the anesthetic during suturing. Otherwise, everyone is going to be standing around waiting 20-30 minutes after the case is over for the patient to wake up. That's not good form. It slows down the surgery schedule and makes me look bad. I've never had a patient start to wake up during sutures before until yesterday. Honestly, it was no big deal. People get sutures in the ER all the time totally awake. My attending however, freaked out. Personally, I think the patient was a bit tolerant to our anesthetics because he's a big-time drinker, but anyway, my attending was quite pissed at me. So be it. He will always find something.

One cool thing happened to me early in the day. A guy I kind of like sat by me at our 6:30am anesthesia meeting!

4 comments:

Rick Rockhill said...

hey there- I'm a first time visitor to your blog and am really enjoying reading through it. You have great stories to tell.

stop by and say hi sometime.

http://www.rickrockhill.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Oooh, I'm so glad that there is someone you might be intersted in. Keep me posted!

Robyn said...

I don't like anybody at 6:30 in the morning.

Suzie said...

ok who is this guy? spill the beans...