Thursday, December 21, 2006

Typhoid Me

It seems like everyone I come in contact with these days dies. None of these deaths have anything to do with me, but they are just happening. Remember the guy from 2 weeks ago? Well, there have since been two more. There was a guy I assisted my surgeon on in putting in an AV graft so he could have dialysis. Well, just a few days after he was discharged from the hospital, he had a bad car accident and died a few days later. Question I have is, was he driving? I mean, the guy was paranoid schizophrenic and was not very compliant on his meds. I sure hope he didn't hurt anyone else in the accident.

The other guy I admitted to the hospital on Sunday. He was an older gentleman and came to the ER complaining of an itchy rash that he'd had for 3 weeks (not really an emergency, but whatever). The reason he got put in the hospital is because his blood glucose was 573! He wasn't in any distress and didn't know it was that high. An attending doctor took over his care the morning after I wrote admission orders. Out of the blue yesterday he just went into asystole and died. I feel so bad for his wife. They were so nice when I spoke with them Sunday. This just completely blindsided her. Then today, a horrible thought came to my mind: I bet he has Christmas presents under the tree. It's no wonder the suicide rate is so high around Christmas when things like this happen.

In other news, Mr. Big has gone to the Left Coast to visit his sister. I've spent the evening cleaning my house, catching up with some friends on the phone, and playing my piano. It's weird having free time! : )

1 comment:

Dan and Libby said...

Typhoid me, hee. I think a sense of humor must be a prerequisite for being a Ph.D.