Wednesday, September 27, 2006

I have a nephew. He's 26. He's amazingly intelligent, but he lacks a bit of common sense. You see, he works at a pretty upscale restaurant, and is a really good waiter, so I hear. Well, last night, The Boyfriend and I went to eat at the "sister" restaurant of the one my nephew works at. One of the guys there who was waiting tables I knew from my former days as a waitress. He came over to me and as we were talking, mentions how sorry he was to hear about my nephews mom (My brother's ex-wife). I'm confused and asked him what he meant. He said that she had died about 3 weeks ago. Wow! How come nobody told me? So my nephew's boss walks by to say hi to me (I know him as well). I mentioned about my nephews mom dying and that I had no idea and started asking him when and what happened. This death was apparently 3 weeks ago! So by this time, I'm sort of irritated that nobody in the family mentioned this little detail to me. After dinner, I called my mom to see if she'd heard this. She hadn't. So I called my brother and asked him if he knew about it. He told me that my nephew made up the story because he didn't want to go to work. What!? Who would do that? Who would lie about their own mother dying so they wouldn't have to go to work?! Who's going to die next, me?

My brother was not happy about it either, and only found out because my nephew (his son) emailed him and told him what he'd done (my brother knows just about everyone in the restaurant business, including my nephew's boss, so I guess he needed him to cover for him). Anyway, he told me that he warned nephew that this will come back to bite him in the ass. It just may have tonight. I have a feeling his boss is going to ask him why his aunt had no idea about the death in the family.

Family drama...it never stops.

No comments: