Wednesday, September 13, 2006

And yet another good day...!

Today was fun! Funny how you get a first impression about somebody and then later they prove you wrong. I had a really bad impression of this Dr. X, because I thought he was mean to me and hated me. This week he has been really nice and telling me I'm doing a good job. Looking back, I'm glad he's been hard on me. It's made me a better, more thorough resident. My ICU notes are much better than they were even a week ago.

This morning he had me re-intubate a guy who needed a bronchoscopy. The guy had a big neck, a huge tongue, and was coughing....3 strikes against an easy intubation. I tried twice with two different blades but just couldn't see around his tongue. I didn't want to have to let Dr. X do it, because that would be admitting defeat, so we readjusted his head so it extended better, and I got the tube right in. I was soooo relieved! He was coughing and everytime he coughed, the tube would get resistant when I tried to put it in, but I did finally get it in. I got a "good job" from Dr. X, which doesn't come easy.

I resisted the temptation to get a lovely looking piece of cake at lunch today. Then Julie joined me and what did she have on her plate? A big piece of cake, so I got up and got one too.

Did I mention I started running again? It hasn't been difficult this time. I guess walking 3 miles a day does more for my endurance than I though it did. Now if only my sore knees would cooperate.....

Please wish me an easy call night tomorrow. Thanks.

No comments: