Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Well I think I'm finished mourning over the results of the now infamous football game that occurred Saturday. Time to move on.

So my 2 friends from high school and I got together over the weekend. I've decided they are both way cooler than I. We are thinking of starting an US Weekly reading club instead of a regular book club, since I don't have much extra time for reading.

A couple of hours ago in the ICU, I watched a guy in his early 20's die. He took 4 bottles of Tylenol PM yesterday and was found barely breathing last night by his mother. I didn' realize you could die from Tylenol in just one day- I thought it took 3 days, but now that I think about it, I think it was the "PM" portion of the Tylenol PM that killed him that fast. I think he fell asleep, became hypoxic, and sufferred injury to his brain from the lack of oxygen. He was found barely breathing, (something I didn't think was a common side effect of just plain ol' Tylenol overdose). Anyway, so he started seizing and his heart rate kept dropping really low. NOTHING would stop the seizures and he kept at it until he finally died. It was pretty ugly. I feel bad for any family member who has to make a loved one DNR (do not resuscitate), but his mother did the right thing. We were providing futile care.

Until today, I thought I was the dumbest resident in my group. I don't think that anymore. I initially responded to the code blue since I work in that ICU and I knew it would take a few minutes for the on-call resident to get there. The nurses were telling me what was going on when one of the other residents (not the designated on-call resident) showed up and sort of "took over". He really made an ass out of himself because he started asking them really dumb questions and telling them to shock the guy. The nurses were all rolling their eyes behind his back. I just stood back and watched in amusement. Despite what they do on Grey's Anatomy, you don't shock asystole or bradycardia (yet another reason to hate that show).

Now onto less depressing issues, like fashion:

I'm debating about these new "skinny" jeans. I think it is a lame attempt to make denim look like leggings, and I'm pretty sure I don't want to re-live that era again. On the other hand, I may end up buying a pair anyway because they are the new "it" item. I swore I would never buy low rise jeans and then one day I realized I was wearing "Mom" jeans. Now all my jeans are at least slightly low rise-definitely not up to my navel! Ok so back to skinny jeans. Maybe I'll just buy straight leg jeans. The problem I have now is all my jeans are bootcut so I can't wear flats or loafers with them, so I need at least one pair of jeans that don't require heels or boots. So which is it? Skinny or straight?

1 comment:

Dan and Libby said...

Take one pair of your many designer jeans (non-Mommy jeans) and hem them to wear with flats! That's what Stacy London says to do. I have a lighter pair that's shorter. I also have a pair of skinny jeans, designer ones, that I saved from before the legs got so wide and long. They're so comfy and stretchy!

Sorry about the Tylenol PM guy. You win the hardest job award.