Thursday, January 11, 2007

This week has not been eventful. My board scores were mailed to me yesterday so I'm kinda waiting on pins and needles for them to get to my house.

The guys in my residency program are starting to bug me a little. Just stupid little things that annoy me, like them sleeping in the female call room and using our bathroom and then getting pee on our clean floor. Gross. They also act like they know everything, which is also starting to bug me.

Remember the lady I blogged about who had bad chest pain, was out of breath, and her cardiologist blew me off at first? She suffered an anoxic brain injury from that morning and was never able to come off the ventilater. Her family has been divided as to how her care should be handled. It turned into a Terri Shiavo sort of thing. For all practical purposes, she is in a coma and will never come out of it. I found out today the family finally agreed on removing her from the ventilator and letting her die tonight. It's the right decision in my opinion but I'll just never forget being one of the last people to talk to her and knowing how scared she was. She was in so much pain that she asked if I would rub the back of her neck for her. So I did. I'm convinced she knew she was going to die.

That's really about it. A big ice storm is supposed to hit tomorrow and I'm on call then until Saturday morning. Hopefully I'll be able to drive home okay because I sure don't want to spend my whole weekend at the hospital!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for rubbing her neck. She'll remember later, I'm convinced, Kate.