Thursday, January 04, 2007

Sad news

Well, so I wasn't totally in the clear about my kitty's health. I took her in to the vet today for her major tooth cleaning. I picked her up tonight. She was still sorta out of it and the vet came out to talk to me, which is probably never a good sign. Anyway, they had to pull 5 teeth because she had developed abscess underneath them, which were probably very painful (insert guilty feelings here). The really bad news is that her labwork shows she has renal failure. I guess I knew deep down that was coming. She has been drinking a lot more water over the last few months, almost competing with me for the sick faucet because that's how she's always liked her water.

Now I have to decide how far I'm willing to go with her illness. I changed her cat foot to a special renal food (no problem there) but the vet was talking to me about giving her subcutaneous fluids every week, hypertension medicine, and supplements. As much as I love my little buddy, she's still a cat. Forcing all that stuff on her, despite the good intention, would drive her insane and she would not tolerate it well at all. She's already hating the antibiotics and pain meds she got sent home with. Lucky for her, that's only for a few days. I was reading online about kitty kidney transplants and I couldn't believe somebody would put their pet though that. It's interesting for research, but kind of crazy. How much does that cost, anyway?

On a good note, Sadie is meowing a lot less tonight. Either she is still sort of drugged or her mouth is feeling a lot better (again, insert guilty feelings here). Imagine, having a mouth full of abscessed teeth and not having it treated right away. I wish I had done something sooner. I just didn't know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dropped my furry baby off today for her teeth cleaning and annual shots. They said with her age that they would recommend a blood panel, so I agreed. I wanted to see the doctor, but he was busy and I had to get to work, but my dog has been drinking so much water, that I thought she might be diabetic. Now I'm worried about renal failure. I guess the labs will tell when I pick her up tonight! (Which I can't wait to do, because I have a huge crush on that doctor!!)

Dan and Libby said...

Is renal failure kidney failure? You did fine. You took care of her before lots of people would have realized there was a problem.