Saturday, March 31, 2007

Prosopagnosia

Ok so I have this embarrassing problem that I can't seem to fix. I have a really hard time recognizing faces. I've always been this way and as I get older and meet more and more people, the problem is only getting worse. Today I was at Barnes and Noble studying, and the chief resident of our program for next year came over and said hi to me. I had no idea who he was. He didn't even look familiar! He had to tell me who he was, which I think embarrassed him. I tried to make light of it and told him that if he'd been wearing scrubs and a mask, I would have recognized him. God, I'm such a doof...

I really hate this. I don't know if something is not wired right in my brain, or if it's just that I don't really pay attention, but it really bugs me. My ex always thought it was kind of cute and endearing...we'd watch TV and I would get all confused about the plot because I couldn't remember who people were.

Now people I have everyday contact with, I remember just fine, but if I see you somewhere out of character, I'll have no clue who you are. I know this is probably normal for some people, but this goes way beyond normal. I'm to the point where I don't approach someone to say hi because I'm afraid I'll have the wrong person (it happens a lot)! I hide it by being friendly to everyone, just in case I already know them. Time magazine published an article last summer about this and it was like I was reading about myself. I think my case is mild, but some people can't even recognize their own face in a mirror!

One of the other interns, Adam, came up and said hi to me in the doctor's lounge one day. I'd never seen him without his glasses and I had no idea who he was. He looked at me like I'd lost my mind.

In a field where networking is so important, I see all this as a hindrance.

1 comment:

Dan and Libby said...

That condition is an actual disorder. I know that because they said it on a morning news show. It must be true!