Wednesday, February 14, 2007

What I've learned this week

No matter how bad things are, there is always someone having a worse week than you are. Case in point: yesterday I was working in the ED (emergency department, NOT ER, as an ER is an emergency room. I don't work in a room, I work in a department). Anyway, a 5 month old girl came in via ambulance in asystole. She'd been that way for almost an hour. Mom put her down for a nap and she never woke up. I can't imagine having to live through that. I would want to die.

Some other friends of mine ( a couple we were social with at parties) came in with his dad, who has terminal cancer. I didn't even know the chart I grabbed was their father until they walked in the room. We had a little sympathy fest, as they'd heard I was having a bad week. I had no idea they were dealing with caring for a sick family member all this time. How could I not know that? What kind of friend am I?

So today I slept in. Just didn't go to work. I'm taking full advantage of having a flex schedule this month. My neighbor's stupid dog jumped their fence like he does every day and began his incessant barking. Today I became "that neighbor". I've already complained to the city about the loose, barking dog and apparently the warning notices my neighbors get have left no impression. Today I went further. I sent them a very rude, threatening letter telling them if they can't keep their dog in their backyard, I will call animal control until the dog is gone. I will, too. I'm not the only neighbor frustrated with this problem. Others have complained to the city as well. I love animals. I don't want him to go to the pound, but I am really tired of being woken up by him barking outside my window, following me when I go outside, and just the general nuisance.

What else did I learn this week? The ugliest lesson of all: If you've dated him for 3 years and you're not wearing an engagement ring and you don't have a wedding date set, then he's just not that into you.

No comments: